Friday, September 18, 2009

Finished (ish) composition #1

I have now added various textures and rhythms to my chords. It's about 1 minute and 15 seconds long.
One thing I'm definitely struggling with is not having a computer program to write it up on. I've been using manuscript paper and it has gotten to a point where I just have my own symbols that only I can understand; however, I have played it/worked it enough that it's pretty solid in my head.
I chose flute for my melody instrument and was very apprehensive about writing for an instrument I didn't know much about. My ideas for the flute part came across a lot better than I thought and with more ease for the player than I expected (trills and ripply patterns).
The character of my piece was originally going to be happy excitement, but in aiming for that the character came off a bit sneaky as well as apprehensive like kids playing hide and go seek or something. I have an ABA' pattern (though the second A has different chords, but same character) and B is the big bully of the twisted playground.

No comments:

Post a Comment