Monday, November 16, 2009

Project numero 2

I picked the poem, "I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud" by William Wordsworth for a couple of reasons. I like how the words fit together and I like all the opportunities to create images such as wandering, solitude, floating, hills and valleys, flashes, pensive/ vacant moods and dancing and fluttering.
Although the first line could indicate a rather sad poem, it grows to be quite uplifting and light and I'm excited to have the same gradual build with the music. It's for a soprano voice (maybe a mezzo, I'm not quite sure on that), clarinet and piano.

So far, I'm pretty pleased with the chord outlines and the melody that I have. The depiction of wandering alone through some sort of nature scene I believe is there with the voice line relatively unsupported. I definitely think I will add some more "help" for the singer to find pitches and be re-affirmed that she's on the right one. Also, I'd like the parts where it is really only voice with complete silence in the other instruments to be only on significant parts that clearly express being alone. The rest of the time, it may be long tones in the clarinet or some chord pulsing in the piano.
The piece will start of "recit"-like and then grow more grounded and dance-like only to return to an open, airy feel and finally will close with a brief return to the dancing and fluttering and what not.

No comments:

Post a Comment